logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-28 01:57
ARC review: SAVED BY DARKNESS by Katie Reus (4 out of 5 stars)
Saved by Darkness (Darkness Series) (Volume 6) - Katie Reus

I don’t know what it is about this author’s shifters and demons but I just cannot get enough of them. They are your typical possessive, growling, super sexy sort of supernaturals however the way they are depicted and the voice the author gives them makes all the difference.
Ian and Fiona are both dragon shifters who had to part ways a while ago because her family didn’t approve of their relationship. Cut 50 years later and they get to reunite only to have their time together shortened by evil forces beyond their control.

Like I said, Ian and Fiona are pretty much typical in the sense of that they are alpha by nature but when it came down to do what was right for everyone they were both wiling to relent power for the greater good. That’s another thing I liked about the story; the author was able to tell a believable story where there already was one true leader in the series however she managed to include other alpha characters without stripping power away from the Alpha of the whole pack.
Another favorite part of mine was that we spent more time with old characters and we finally got to meet the “sperm donor” of the half-demon siblings, which by the way are kind of my favorite characters of the whole pack.
All in all I thought it was a great story and I cannot wait to see who the next couple in the series will be. 4 stars.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

review 2017-02-27 14:56
Gardenia/Kelsey Sutton
Gardenia - Kelsey Sutton

Kelsey Sutton, winner of a Best Teen Book Award from Kirkus, pens a suspenseful, heartfelt young adult novel, perfect for the readership of Rachel Ward and Kimberly Derting.

Seventeen-year-old Ivy Erickson has one month, twenty-seven days, four hours, fifty-nine minutes, and two seconds to live. Thoughtful and brooding, Ivy has been harboring a secret her entire life—she can see countdown clocks over everyone’s heads, watching their life grow closer and closer to the end with each passing second. She can’t do anything about anyone else’s clock, nor can she do anything about her own, approaching a zero hour before she even graduates high school. A life cut short is tragic, but Ivy tries to make the most of it. She struggles emotionally with her deep love for on-again, off-again boyfriend Myers Patripski. She struggles financially, working outside of school to help her mom and her sister escape the realities of trailer park life. And she struggles to discover who murdered her best friend, another life she couldn’t save. Vanessa Donovan was murdered in the woods, and everyone in town believes it is Ivy who did it. In what time she has left, Ivy must put her own life in order as she pieces together the truth of who ended Vanessa’s.

This book was a lovely excuse to not get out of bed all afternoon, though I did have Nickelback's Savin' Me stuck in my head the entire time...

A delightful mystery, I found myself in suspense through most of the book, which was quite realistic despite the supernatural elements. Ivy's bitter cynicism was ironically a breath of fresh air and I found her voice to be quite unique, for YA. She showed herself to be secretly, underneath it all, optimistic, and I felt like she'd be someone I'd really want to get to know in real life.

The romance was thrilling. I didn't analytically think it would be good due to my detesting of instalove, but the way Ivy talked about her significantly-more-off-than-on boyfriend Myers had my stomach in butterflies. Their history comes out slowly, but it's clear that the emotions Ivy feels are incredibly deep.

I loved the setting of this book. I loved that Ivy lived in a trailer park. I loved that her sister ran a website for men in order to have an income. I loved the nitty gritty elements of the family struggling yet, in one scene, each taking a day off to go bowling together. (Also, they have a parrot. Many kudos to the parrot.) I loved Ivy's art and the role it played.

A true suspense, I didn't see the ending coming until it happened. This was a mystery alongside a coming-of-age story and I was intrigued to read about how Ivy found clues and eventually came to the conclusion she did.

This was solid. Not spectacular, and I felt like there were some deaths that were glossed over, but a solid way to pass an afternoon, and I recommend for YA fans.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-02-27 14:00
#16: The White Rose by Amy Ewing
The White Rose - Amy Ewing

As usual, I find myself not really liking the second book of a trilogy. It's always difficult for me to rate them or to know what to think of them. This one was particularly not to my liking. I mean, I liked to learn more about this world and the plot was great but it just felt flat. There was no real dynamics in the book; I was not captivated by it.

The plot was great: the truth about the Surrogates and about the creation of The Lone City was quite a surprise and I found the idea really good, it quite surprised me, I was not expecting that. But the book was too slow, by the time Violet and her friends find the truth and decide to do something about it, the book is over. I felt like nothing happened during this book and that was the problem with it.

However, there is this really great plot twist at the end that was just amazing! I will definitely read the third book and I hope I will like it more than The White Rose.

text 2017-02-27 12:30
February 2017 Reads

While February was a short month I still go plenty of books in ...  I also finally read both books of the A Court of Thorns And Roses series and I LOVED them. I'm counting down the day until we finally get book three in the series A Court of Wing And Ruin. Aside from that I got four more ARCs done reading and I should be almost caught up with them. Just a couple more and after that just what new books I will get in.

There is also a new giveaway going on. Luck o’ the Readers Giveaway. Don't forget to enter and share, the grand prize is $100 in paypal cash or many,many other prizes which could be books, swag, gift-cards or one of many other prizes. The giveaway is open international as well.

Here are some anticipated releases for March 2017.

For March 7th,Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco, Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop and Silence Fallen by Patricia Briggs.

Operation Prom Date by Cindi Madsen on March 13th.

On March 20th The Struggle by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

Conquering the Cowboy by Kelli Ireland on March 21st.  And The Unyielding by Shelly Laurenston on March 28th.

Some of those are on my TBR and some I even already read.

I hope everyone has a great March, I will add the giveaway at the bottom of this post. The buy links as always can be found the reviews that are linked .

As always Happy Reading and good luck with the giveaway :)

The Turn by Kim Harrison

syns

Can science save us when all else fails?

Trisk and her hated rival, Kalamack, have the same goal: save their species from extinction.

Death comes in the guise of hope when a genetically modified tomato created to feed the world combines with the government’s new tactical virus, giving it an unexpected host and a mode of transport. Plague takes the world, giving the paranormal species an uncomfortable choice to stay hidden and allow humanity to die, or to show themselves in a bid to save them.

Under accusations of scientific misconduct, Trisk and Kal flee across a plague torn United States to convince leaders of the major paranormal species to save their supposedly weaker kin, but not everyone thinks humanity should be saved.

Kal surreptitiously works against her as Trisk fights the prejudices of two societies to prove that not only does humanity have something to offer, but that long-accepted beliefs against women, dark magic, and humanity itself can turn to understanding; that when people are at their worst that the best show their true strength, and that love can hold the world together as a new balance is found.

Tartan Temptation by Kayden Claremont

syns

Financial planner Cora Siegfried has returned to her hometown to settle her late father’s estate. Get in, get out, that’s the plan. When she’s almost run over by a kilt-wearing hottie on a motorcycle, all her well-laid plans go up in smoke, and all she can think about is getting well laid by her childhood crush. But after what she hoped would be a one-night stand, leaving him might not be as easy. Talk about a tartan temptation. With his throne on the line, Brodie Murdock needs to secure his kingdom by taking a bride. When the only woman he’s ever wanted steps right into his path, he knows the legends are true. She is his destiny. The feisty female isn’t hard to seduce into his bed for the night, but she’s proving difficult to convince they are meant for forever. And then there’s the secret that could destroy any chance of their future—a secret he’s not ready to confess. Not until his stubborn soul mate admits she needs him for more than sex.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

syns

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she’s been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

syns

Feyre survived Amarantha’s clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can’t forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin’s people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world torn apart.

Operation Prom Date by Cindi Madsen

syns

Kate ships tons of fictional couples, but IRL her OTP is her and Mick, the hot quarterback she’s crushed on since, like, forever. With only one semester left of senior year, it’s now or never if she wants to land him in time for prom. Since she’s flirtationally challenged, she enlists Cooper Callihan, the guy who turned popular seemingly overnight but who used to be a good friend.

Cooper lives and breathes rowing, but his partner just broke his wrist. When he remembers Kate’s good with a set of oars, he strikes a deal: help him train, and he’ll make sure her crush notices her. Only he didn’t know how addicting spending time with her would be. Or how the more successful the Operation is, the more jealousy he experiences.

The mission has been set. The troops have their marching orders. But what if the target is the wrong guy all along?

4½ ★

Unexpected Obsession by Barbara Strickland

syns

Tragedy takes Lia from Sydney to Sicily. Her father’s last wishes were to re-unite his estranged family. Lia finds herself pitted against the formidable Nico who has no interest in reconciling the past. He is a man who needs to control every aspect of life around him, and is unprepared for Lia’s spirit and determination. Can obsession and an overwhelming chemistry become more for Nico and Lia, or will it pull them apart?

2½ ★