logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-05-25 19:15
LITTLE CREEPING THINGS BY CHELSEA ICHASO
Little Creeping Things - Chelsea Ichaso

I'm not going to lie, I struggled to get through this one. I don't really have a problem with unreliable or unlikable narrators but when they whine all throughout and are constantly seeing everything through their self serving pity-me glasses, that's where I tend to draw the line.

I've LOVED books with a narratives from villains, from characters I didn't like one bit. I wish this could have been the case here but it just wasn't. The plot could have at least helped the story along but honestly I found it to also be lacking.

To me it was kinda like everything was rather one dimensional, the characters, the plot, and the mystery. The synopsis offered things I don't think the story ever delivered on. The big reveal at the end felt somehow predictable and easy, which was WEIRD because the one thing I can think of that I guess you could say is positive is that I didn't figure it out till right before.

But once it was revealed it felt like OF COURSE and only because no one should guess that for any other reason than it would seem the least likely and you were just supposed to accept it in the end for nothing more than because sometimes people are just evil or crazy or whatever. It felt very simplified.

Give me a breadcrumb or two along the way. I love to be surprised don't get me wrong, but it cheapens it to me when you did nothing along the way to give even miniscule clues or make it understandable how you got there or why things ended this way until literally right before, and even that is shakey at best. Maybe the fact that I'm reading such an emotionally complex grand series as well right now didn't help.

This just felt incredibly immature and unsatisfying to me. If major teen angst is your bag, or maybe you want to dip a toe in a light mystery, you might enjoy this one. To be honest I felt like the Scooby-Doo gang solved more indepth cases, but to each his own.

I received an arc of this book from Sourcebooks Fire via Netgalley and this is my honest review.

review 2020-05-25 13:19
Undone by Shannon Richard
Undone - Shannon Richard
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I just loved this book! I have had this book for years but failed to take the time to read it until now and I must that I am a little mad at myself for not picking it up sooner. Once I started reading this story, I was hooked and did not want to put it down and found myself reaching for it every chance I had. I am so glad that I finally decided to give this one a try.

Things have not been going great for Paige. She has lost her job, her apartment, and her boyfriend in short order. As a result, she was forced to move back in with her parents who now live in the small town of Mirabelle, Florida. It has not been an easy transition and she feels like most of the town is against her. Her vehicle breaks down after a horrible interview and the town's handsome mechanic comes to her rescue.

Brendan has lived in Mirabelle all of his life and knows how hard some of the residents can be on new residents like Paige. He hasn't had things easy in his life but he has a great support system including his grandparents, his sister, and a great group of friends. He decides to help Paige out just a bit and he also plans to spend a little more time getting to know her.

I really liked Paige and Brendan. I thought that both of these characters felt very real, like someone I wouldn't be surprised to meet. They were fun together and I loved the chemistry between the pair. This was a pretty low drama story for much of the book and I really enjoyed just spending time with these two as they fell in love. There is some excitement before the book is over but I must say that I liked the parts of the book that just focused on these two getting to know each other. Paige and Brendan were not perfect and they made some mistakes but I think that helped them to feel more authentic. The secondary characters were very well developed and I appreciated what they brought to the story.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance. I thought that this was a really well-done romance filled with wonderful characters and a lot of sparks. I would not hesitate to read more of this author's work in the future.

I received a digital review copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) via NetGalley.

Initial Thoughts
I just loved this book and I am kind of mad at myself for not reading it sooner. Paige and Brendan were fantastic characters and they were so good together. The bulk of the story is rather drama free and I really enjoyed stepping back and watching Paige and Brendan fall for each other. Some drama does show up before the story draws to a close but I had a pretty good feeling that these two would find their happily ever after at that point.

review 2020-05-25 08:17
Reach
Someday, Someday - Emma Scott

Max is quickly burning out on his current job, when a co-worker tells him of a job that may be too good to be true.  He figures what can it hurt to interview?  Then he finds out who is connected to the job.

Silas has been hiding.  His father cannot have him be himself, for fear it will ruin the family name.  Can he impress him and become the next CEO of the family business?

Sweet story with an excellent way of explaining about love over expectation.  Some dark elements, with additiction, and abuse.  I loved that the author had such a new way to make us feel it can be discussed.  I liked that the characters had a sense of self, and were able to show development.  The friendship explored was also a treat to read.  I enjoyed this book and give it a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2020-05-25 07:43
Unforseen
Managed (VIP Book 2) - Kristen Callihan

This is book #2, in the VIP series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For understanding the series, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading this series in order.

Sophie meets Gabriel on the airplane to a new job.  Only to find out he is basically her new boss.  Can she fight the attraction that is thrumming between them?

Gabriel AKA "Scottie" find himself annoyed, and then enchanted by Sophie.  She is getting under his skin quickly.  Is it even possible to resist at this point?

This book covered a subject we do not often see written so openly.  The loneliness that is felt by these characters in their lives is unexpected from an outside point of view, as they are both normally surrounded by others.  I liked the fresh approach.  I also liked the humor, the heat, and definitely loved the connection between the two main characters.  I enjoyed reading this and cannot wait to read the next installment to the great series.  I give this read a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2020-05-25 07:16
Chance
Always a Bridesmaid - Cindi Madsen

This is book #2, in the Getting Hitched In Dixie series.  While each book in this series in listed as a standalone and can be read that way, I recommend reading them in order.  Well worth it if you do.

Violet comes to visit and help her sister.  She has crashed and burned recently with the bad breakup she has just experienced.  Then she meets Ford, and its like she just has to tell herself she is here to recover temporarily.

Ford never expects one woman to knock him off his feet.  Since they have met, he has felt like he always wants to be around her all the time.  Is it turning in your man card if you like being around someone so fun and full of life?

This author is a 1click standard for me, I will be honest about that.  Not since her Taking Shots series have I stayed up and not put a book down. (I surely would love if she wrote more hockey - whoo!) Anyway, this story was full of rich characters with full backstories.  The people in this town are all quirky and interesting to read.  I laughed and eagerly turned the pages.  Excited to see the next installment!  I give this read a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given by Netgalley and its publisher, in exchange for honest review.