logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Feature Requests
created by: BookLikes
back to group
Blog Tour features. (Actually, there are monetizing possibilities there for booklikes.)
Reply to post #531 (show post):

So sorry to hear this. We are afraid that it's on the Facebook end and we cannot do anything to overcome it. To connect your FB, please go to your Settings and click Facebook Connect, it should take no longer than several seconds and you'll be all connected again.
Reply to post #532 (show post):

Thank you! That's a lovely idea, we'd love to hear more :)
A way to mark/categorize books as about a book rather than the book itself that would improve search results. Maybe always put the about a books last in search results, last under " show more," an option like "show more" on search such as "books about a book," an option in our settings to choose to ignore ...

For example, the difference between "Much Ado About Nothing" (by William Shakesoeare) and "Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare" (by SparkNotes).

Maybe prioritize books in search results by the number of editions, reviews or shelvings (by the logic that even Bookrags won't have as many editions of a classic book as the actual classic book and certainly the actual book would mostly be more in use by us booklikers than a book about it...).

Maybe at least take a page out of defunct Leafmarks and have librarian policy add something to the title like "SparkNotes: Much Ado..."

Not sure what the correct fix is or what works with your search/database structures. But I sure just had a miserable time with adding books to a post. Hit the big plus sign to search for things like "Dune by Frank Herbert" and other likely mainstream titles/authors — only to get books about them from so-called authors like Bookrags, Books LLC, Hephaestus Books, Expert Book Reviews ... from the main search as well but more likely to get a "show more" with those results at least. Hour spent on blasted post (partly because I was flummoxed trying to figure out how to make it work) that took less than 10 minutes on other sites.
Series: Will it ever be possible to click the series name on the book page and see the books in the series?

A continuing disappointment for me with booklikes is lack of series features beyond being able to enter series name on book pages.
Reply to post #536 (show post):

Sorry to hear about the disappointment but we hear you. We wish we could implement that ASAP. If we know something more, you'll be the first one to know.
I apologize if repeating a request already made.

I'd like to have:

An indication that we have shelved the book, just another edition of it.

My shelves are in dire need of reorganizing partly because that's missing.

For example, my goodreads import shelved one edition on booklikes as "to read" but I shelved a different edition that showed in search or someone else's post first as "currently reading" then as "read" (complete with reading history, rating and review). Then another time searching by ISBN or clickking a post pulls up a third edition that I shelve " sample to read" because there's no indication I've already shelved it.

Or am I missing an indication on searches or on book pages that I've already shelved the book (because not on same edition)?

It's almost like trying to help grow the booklikes book catalog by putting in requests to combine editions of a work is hurting my own book catalog/shelves. I'd see in search results that I'd shelved an edition of the book if editions showed separately in a list (If I left editions uncombined or requested a librarian to separate them).

I miss very little about goodreads (other than some of my friends) -- but, not seeing "read" when looking at a book I already read without finding the book then clicking to see editions in hopes the edition I marked "read" was already combined ...
Reply to post #538 (show post):

Thanks to Tannat, I now know that in search results if I have shelved an edition of the book there will be a green vertical line.

Screenshot of vertical bar in search results in case it helps someone:

Reply to post #538 (show post):

Seconded. I'd like an easier way to figure out whether I've shelved a book too. And an easier way to switch to the edition that I want when changing editions.
Reply to post #540 (show post):

@Tannat, you likely already know but to change/switch editions (assuming editions are already correctly combined), you have to be editing shelves in table mode. There will be a green "change edition" under/next-to book title.

You don't get to do it from book page (other than manually copying review over to another edition, editing all posts linked to initial edition to replace it with desired edition, and manually re-adding relevant shelved and reading history on desired edition — then manually removing same from initial edition).
Reply to post #541 (show post):

Oh, I know how to change editions. It's just not easy to find the edition that I want since the ISBN/ASIN isn't listed and pagecount/cover/publisher (I think that last one is there) isn't always enough to identify the desired edition.

Basically, I wish the ISBN were visible when selecting the edition to change to.
Reply to post #542 (show post):

The ISBN and other info is listed on the "other editions" page.
Reply to post #542 (show post):

Lol... Kate is going to think I paid you to post this. :D

I've just been bugging her again (I'm on a 60 day rotation, I think) about this exact issue (adding isbn info to the change edition results) and begging her to bribe the IT dept to push it up their list. :)
Reply to post #543 (show post):

Yes, but it is not visible when actually picking which book to switch to if you're actually trying to change an edition.

MbD, I'd track more of my to-read list on booklikes if it were easier to switch editions. And great minds and all...
Reply to post #514 (show post):

So, I've been really happy with this my second attempt to move my reading rants to BookLikes from a different site, even though there are some features missing and some glitches here and there. I don't mind that at all, as long as there's some progress at fixing things and making the site better.

However what I've been looking for is an export feature. An export feature is a critical feature in any site that depends on its users for content. I love BookLikes' privacy policy, it really hammers home the fact that my content is my content, and I know it's technically not impossible, or even very hard, so it's really difficult for me to understand why I can't take my content home with me.

As it stands I'm not going to be able to commit to a site like this until I have a useable way to take the books I have shelved and whatever dribble I've written off-site. Too bad, because I like it here.

tl;dr: No export feature, no go.
Need help?