logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Feature Requests
created by: BookLikes
back to group
Reply to post #586 (show post):

If it helps triubleshoot: I'm not seeing any links on some book pages today. Some I still see Amazon.co.uk. None show Amazon.com.
Reply to post #589 (show post):

Ditto, Debbie. And because of the project I'm working on, I've been paying extra attention to that. Some pages, no links. And no .com links.
Reply to post #589 (show post):

Ah. That may explain it: there must be some tie to that link. Because I know I couldn't import information from, say, B&N, and we don't have those links. I'm guessing that the fact that .co.uk works for shelve it and the link is there has something to do with this. Just like I'm guessing that the missing link and inability to shelve directly from Amazon is linked.
Reply to post #591 (show post):

Grim: the missing link and the ShelveIt functionality are linked.

The rest of this is speculation, so take it with a grain of salt: I have an at home book database that used to use Amazon feeds to fetch book information. About 6 months ago, maybe?, the developers sent out a notice saying that every Amazon site (by country) now had it's own set of T&C/agreements, and each site could either accept or decline to offer data feeds to those that had been using them under one big Amazon umbrella. Which meant that the software developers lost all the feeds except the Amazon.com one.

I'm wondering if something similar has happened here on BL and that's why the feeds have (temporarily, hopefully) disappeared, except for the Amazon.co.uk feed.

PURE SPECULATION - I haven't the slightest idea what's really going on with it.
Reply to post #592 (show post):

I'm hoping so, too, because I miss the straight Amazon link comes back.

And that sounds like a legit possibility, but without knowing what's going on bedding the scenes, it's hard to do anything but speculate!
I know there are issues with Amazon link. I also know they have restrictive conditions on using their data and how it shows on the book page which at one time for most subscribers required the Amazon owned businesses be the exclusive purchase link shown. I understand the programming workload makes it tough to get changes on book pages.

That said, until and unless booklikes adds purchase links other than Amazon on the book pages (some amazon data subscribers get to put a link to take viewer to another page for more purchase links) -- can you share some manual coding we might be able to do to support booklikes when purchasing at Barnes and Noble and retailers other than Amazon?

Meaning how we need to edit the URL of book pages on those sites to include your referrer/affiliate codes so you get a share of the purchase?

I didn't think to note them back when Barnes and Noble, kobo, Powell's, etc. showed in book pages. Most of the retailer affiliate programs are no cost for booklikes to join (some sites that used to have like All Romance have since gone out of business).
Hi there, we just wanted to confirm we know about the search and affiliate links issues, and we do agree it's very unfortunate. Until our developers fix the issue(s) no changes, updates or manual URL edits to the book purchase links can be made. Thank you for your concern. We'll let you know more as soon as we receive more information.
Reply to post #595 (show post):

Your last reply was two weeks ago. Any updates on when the shelve it button for Amazon.com will be fixed? Since they don't sell single issues of comics for DC, and I believe Image, on Amazon.co.uk, I can't use shelve it via .co.uk. And no other foreign version of Amazon seems to work...
Reply to post #596 (show post):

So sorry for this situation. We're still waiting for an update :/ As soon as we have news, we'll write right away.
Reply to post #571 (show post):

There is.

At the top of the BL page there is a drop down menu.

Select Shelf.

At the top of the "Shelf" page, next to the drop down menus is a little black book, which says "Shelve it!" when you hover the cursor over it.

You need to drag this little black book button to the bookmark bar. It will not look like a globe on the bookmark bar.

Then open whatever book you want to add to BL in amazon.co.uk. It HAS to be the UK version of amazon.

Save the cover image from the amazon page (or from anywhere else if you want).

Then, while on the amazon.co.uk book page for that specific book, click the Shelve It! globe on your bookmark bar.

A Booklikes book page should then open up with most of the book information already entered.

You just need to add the cover image you saved by clicking on the "add cover" button and selecting the cover image from where ever you saved it.

And there you go. Your new book has been entered.

One of our BL librarians (Murder by Death?) once mentioned that searching an ISBN that comes back with no results triggers something in BL that results in the record being added.... Eventually? Can anyone confirm whether this actually happens, and if so, how patient we'd need to be to see the record show up in the BL database? I know I've complained endlessly in my BL blog, and I have pretty much resigned myself to having to create every edition I want to shelve (typically the mp3 audiobook version I obtain from my library's e-collection--which about 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the time does not exist in BL). And since lately BL feels like a ghost train, with no staff interacting with users, I am less optimistic than ever about seeing this situation improve.
Reply to post #577 (show post):

Auto-add of ISBNs not in the database may have happened once upon a time, when BL was still able to access the Amazon data feed, but since Amazon all but shut down that access (except for the Amazon.co.uk "shelve it" option), it's extremely unlikely this is still true. Right now, all we have is "shelve it" off Amazon.co.uk or manual additions. And MbD's periodic mass additions from the publishers' own feeds, of course!
Thanks, Themis-Athena. That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask just in case....
Need help?