logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: book-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-17 02:31
Puliter Prize winning novel 'Less'

Less by Andrew Sean GreerLiterary awards are rarely sufficient motivation for me to choose one title over another — the enjoyment of literature being notoriously subjective — but since Less was already on my wishlist, its recent Pulitzer Prize win firmed up my decision to purchase.

What immediately struck me was the unusual narrative structure… predominantly first-person present tense (identity undisclosed) yet omnipresent.

From where I sit, the story of Arthur Less is not so bad.

Look at him: seated primly on the hotel lobby’s plush sofa, blue suit and white shirt, legs knee-crossed so that one polished loafer hangs free of its heel. The pose of a young man.

But on occasion more like third-person. It is both confounding and intriguing. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2018/05/less-by-andrew-sean-greer-book-review.html
review 2018-06-23 00:56
Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist

A trip down reading memory lane with one of the countless inspiring quotes from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist:

Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist is a perfect example of the saying ‘good things come in small packages’. The simple little tale conveys a very powerful and inspirational message. First published in Portuguese in 1988, it is considered a modern classic. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2010/05/book-review-alchemist-by-paulo-coelho.html
review 2018-06-20 03:18
Fatima Farheen Mirza's A PLACE FOR US

The first title from Sarah Jessica Parker's imprint for Hogarth

I am normally wary of hyped debut novels, but with comparisons made to Anthony Marra’s outstanding A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, I was eager to read Fatima Farheen Mirza’s A Place for Us.

Unlike many reviewers, I was not immediately absorbed by Mirza’s family narrative.  The prose itself was strikingly assured for a debut novelist but I struggled to truly engage with the characters, my personal feelings about the entrenched cultural-religious gender bias impacting their lives getting in the way.

Many of the characters’ behaviours/actions are frustrating to an outside observer also. But to Mirza’s credit, her attention to detail and absence of sentimentality in the presentation of the different character viewpoints soon had me seeing past those differences. It is with the nuances of behaviour explored, the family dynamics, and the gravity and impact of what is often left unsaid that I engaged. Continue reading >>

Source: bookloverbookreviews.com/2018/06/a-place-for-us-by-fatima-farheen-mirza-book-review.html
url 2018-01-11 04:49
Readers' Favorite review of Incognito

A review of Incognito by Reader's Favorite.

review 2017-10-25 23:45
Mollie Jo Joseph: Accepting The Unexpected Book review by Eve's Bookish World
Accepting the Unexpected - Mollie Jo Joseph

What should I say about this book?! It is a little diamond! If I had to use some words for it, these would be: fresh, funny, glamorous, stylish, adorable but even serious as it has to do with a really important issue. Depression.

Let's take it from the start. I love chick lit. You know I do, I told you that at my last post. I love the humorous ways it deals with some problems and issues, either these are relationships, or anything more serious. This one has to do with depression. Depression is a serious medical illness. It is a state of low mood (melancholy), that affects a person's thoughts, activities, feelings and generally life. It makes us feel sad, anxious, hopeless and having a low self-esteem. The great trap is that sometimes the person who is under the affect of depression, cannot even recognize it, unless someone else make it clear to them, and most of the times it is hard to admit and accept it.

Our story has to do with a British young lady, Leila, who works at a great magazine and is in a relationship with James, a man that travels a lot and never has enough time for her. After some situations she decides to break up with him and make up her life... READ MORE ON Eve's Bookish World