Started well enough, but shortly after turned into pure insanity.
For the first time ever I found myself skimming through BDSM scenes.
Son of Death, Jamie, is a whiny little bitch who I cannot stand. The big bad Dom, Seth, is uber crazed on sex. Instead of figuring out Jamie's situation - the "little one" (seriously? kindergarten much? bleh-acck .... One bleach, here, please, 9 ounces!) has issues upon issues, not to mention there is someone out there bent on doing him in, like now - Seth does nothing but f*ck his new toys for two weeks straight. Apparently, sex is a priority.
Nothing makes sense in this story, there is no logic to characters' actions or thought process.
Read it for a challenge. 1 star.
PS I am removing BDSM tag. What happens in this books is a hot mess; it's not sexy, it's not enjoyable and it has major issues :/
I really feel bad giving it 2 stars. BUT:
- I could not connect with the MCs. The narration was dry, the interaction between the MCs was too easy: A student with a hero worship + a soldier with a PTSD in need of love and care = Uber Quick Instalove
I am not usually the one to condemn love at first sight, but this one wasn't convincing even to me.
- Angie was annoying as hell; she set my teeth on edge every. single. time.
- The evil stepfather was extremely sketchy (literally)
- ...And so was the local playboy - Trevor? Terry?
- Ryan... plenty of him in the past, but he was brushed off many a time at the time of the narrative. Why was he even there? Nothing but a prop, like most (all) of the secondary characters here. I hoped and waited for him to show up in book two, but - nothing.
- Rainbow flags were everywhere (in 'spirit' at least). Everyone was sooooo tolerant and accepting and not in the least surprised about everybody else being gay. Except for the evil stepfather, of course, he was one ugly bastard with a foul mouth.
So, a number of things didn't work for me here. Once again - book's too short? I don't know :( I suspect it might be me, since everybody else loves it.
What, it ended? Just like that? How is it possible? What about Shudder? I need to know more about Shudder! Oh, crool, crool almost-cliffy!!!
Funny how I came to care about Shudder even more than Blaze or Damien. Of course, they are going to get their time together in the end, but poor Shudder, all alone and in pain... what about him????