logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: audiobook-review
Load new posts () and activity
text 2017-09-19 22:23
Reading progress update: I've listened 278 out of 600 minutes.
The Dying Hour - Rick Mofina

Didn't know it at first but there has been more than one girl grabbed and one dead and I got a serial killer book on my hands. So I am going to use it for my square....lol.

Enjoying it so far!

text 2017-09-19 11:21
Reading progress update: I've listened 47 out of 600 minutes.
The Dying Hour - Rick Mofina

Crime novel involving a reporter who tries to figure out what happened to a woman whose car broke down and she disappeared. Not bad so far but just getting started. First time with this narrator and I am not sure about him yet.

review 2017-09-19 01:06
Fun little series
Madness in Christmas River: A Christmas Cozy Mystery (Christmas River Cozy) - Meg Muldoon

Cinnamon Peters runs a pie shop and is getting hitched to the sheriff during the Christmas season. Not really a great time in a place called Christmas River where they really do up Christmas, then Daniel has to go back to California to help with a case.

While he was gone all sorts of things happen. Cinnamon's cousin goes missing, her car gets vandalized and her dog hurt. Her ex is in town causing problems and it's a lot for her to handle. She has to figure out what is going on before something worse happens.

I like Cinnamon and some of the regulars around Christmas River. Though it was short it still had a pretty good mystery. I was pretty sure I knew who might be in on things but I wasn't sure why until it clicked at the end. :)

It's a short cozy read/listen which is what I needed in between a couple of longer listens.

I have really enjoyed the narration of Randye Kaye. She does a good job with the voices.

review 2017-09-16 22:55
Review of But For the Grace
But for the Grace - Peter Grainger,Gildart Jackson

D.C. Smith gets called in on an investigation about a lady who died in a nursing home. It looks like just a normal death but they find out she had taken heroin and that a couple others in her group had died in the last few months and so they try to figure out what happened.

They find out that she was part of a small group that were pretty close and the more they look into things it leads Smith to one conclusion but trying to figure out how it happened or who might have done it was a bit harder. He gets to go head to head with an old man who was pretty smart.

I like D.C. Smith and he is not well liked by his peers, I think it's because he is older and not afraid to ask the tough questions or who might get in the way. There are those trying to get rid of him, he has been offered a job but hasn't said yes or no. He is a widower and at time dwells on the memories of his wife. He is a little clumsy when it comes to taking a lady to dinner but it's kind of sweet.

This was a little bit different type of mystery but I still really enjoyed it. You don't get a lot that involve an old folks home so it was interesting. If you like crime novels then you might enjoy this series, so far I am liking it. :)

Gildart Jackson does a great job narrating this one. His female voices are not always great but he is still easy to listen too.

review 2017-09-13 00:21
Decent start to a series.
Family Secrets: A Whispering Pines Mystery (Volume 1) - Shawn McGuire

Jayne hasn’t been back to Whispering Pines since a family feud drove her family away sixteen years ago, but her grandmother has died and someone has to put her estate in order.

Jayne who is a former police detective and her dog hasn’t been at her grandmother’s house very long when her dog finds a dead body. She also finds that her grandmother’s house has been trashed as well and being a former cop it has her curious. Especially when it looks like the sheriff in town doesn’t seem to want to look into anything.

Jayne takes to snooping on her own and finds out that the town is full of Wiccan followers and that her  grandmother was mixed up in it. She never knew her grandmother was into such things and she isn’t sure she believes in spells and incantations but she soon makes friends with one of the local followers who makes her some protection baggies and she takes them as she feels you can never have to many things protecting you.

The more she digs into things the more she finds out about the town and how someone has a big secret and not everyone wants it known.

I enjoyed this first in a series and thought Jayne was a great character. Since she was a cop she has great cop snooping abilities though she is not sure if that is the path she wants to go in the future. Her new friend Trip sees her grandmother’s house as a potential B&B and sine Jayne is really liking it in Whispering Pines she can kind of see that too but talking her parents into it might be another story. I really enjoyed all the characters and can’t wait to get to know more about them.

If you enjoy cozy mysteries then I think you will enjoy this story.

I listened to this one for Witches.

Source: www.amazon.com/Family-Secrets-Whispering-Pines-Mystery-ebook/dp/B0711FGPJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505257691&sr=8-1&keywords=Family+Secrets+by+Shawn