logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-for-review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-02-27 00:36
didn't like most of it still won't be re reading anything by this author
The Quality of Silence - Rosamund Lupton

about the author:
Rosamund Lupton is the internationally bestselling and critically acclaimed author of the novels Sister and Afterwards. Her New York Times bestselling debut, Sister, was a New York Times Editor’s Choice and Target Book Club pick, and has been translated into over thirty languages with international sales of over 1.5 million copies. Her new novel, The Quality of Silence, is forthcoming from Crown in 2016. Lupton lives in London with her husband and two sons
book synopsis

The Quality of Silence is the story of Yasmin, a beautiful astrophysicist, and her precocious deaf daughter, Ruby, who arrive in a remote part of Alaska to be told that Ruby’s father, Matt, has been the victim of a catastrophic accident. Unable to accept his death as truth, Yasmin and Ruby set out into the hostile winter of the Alaskan tundra in search of answers. But as a storm closes in, Yasmin realizes that a very human danger may be keeping pace with them. And with no one else on the road to help, they must keep moving, alone and terrified, through an endless Alaskan night.

What did I think of it:
First I want to say that this is the first book I ever read by this author , but after read this one I don't think I'll be picking any more of her books up at all, I really did want to like this story but I just can't. loved how it takes place in the Alaskan tundra, love how you get to learn a little bit about what's it like out there and how dangerous it is , and what the drivers have to put up with , now on the characters: I did like 10 year Ruby and loved how even though she's deaf , she let non thing stop her , as for her mother Yasmin I just couldn't stand her at all, its like she just couldn't understand or wouldn't understand that her daughter just wasn't comfortable using what she called her actual l voice, what type of mother does something like that . As for the story it self that's anything : it was repeated over and over though out the story that Ruby was deaf, we already know that , the author didn't have to keep remind us about that, and it was also like we was reading two different stories in one, one was the story that takes place in Alaskan tundra and then the next you start reading one about Matt and Yasmin, when that happened it got a bit confusing , because it took some stuff away from the main story and it made it hard to understand and enjoy the story as a hole. There was times that I had to put the book down and do something else because of the two different stories and how it made me feel , there was even times that I just want to stop reading the book all together and just DNF it, but I don't like doing that and I had to push myself to re pick it up just to finish it, all the time I was hopping it would get better.After some rethinking my review of this book came to realization that there was some of it that I actually did like so I've changed my rating from a 1 star to a 3 star rating, with that said I would like to says thinks anyway to Blogging for Books for send me this book for my honest opinion and a review.

review 2015-11-05 21:51
Mixture of TRON,The Last Starfighter along with Ender's Games
Armada - Ernest Cline

About this author
ERNEST CLINE has worked as a short-order cook, fish gutter, plasma donor, elitist video store clerk, and tech support drone. His primary occupation, however, has always been geeking out, and he eventually threw aside those other promising career paths to express his love of pop culture fulltime as a spoken word artist and screenwriter. His 2009 film Fanboys, much to his surprise, became a cult phenomenon. These days Ernie lives in Austin, Texas with his wife, their daughter, and a large collection of classic video games. READY PLAYER ONE is his first novel.

More information:

Synopsis

Zack Lightman has spent his life dreaming. Dreaming that the real world could be a little more like the countless science-fiction books, movies, and videogames he’s spent his life consuming. Dreaming that one day, some fantastic, world-altering event will shatter the monotony of his humdrum existence and whisk him off on some grand space-faring adventure.

But hey, there’s nothing wrong with a little escapism, right? After all, Zack tells himself, he knows the difference between fantasy and reality. He knows that here in the real world, aimless teenage gamers with anger issues don’t get chosen to save the universe.

And then he sees the flying saucer.

Even stranger, the alien ship he’s staring at is straight out of the videogame he plays every night, a hugely popular online flight simulator called Armada—in which gamers just happen to be protecting the earth from alien invaders.

No, Zack hasn’t lost his mind. As impossible as it seems, what he’s seeing is all too real. And his skills—as well as those of millions of gamers across the world—are going to be needed to save the earth from what’s about to befall it.

It’s Zack’s chance, at last, to play the hero. But even through the terror and exhilaration, he can’t help thinking back to all those science-fiction stories he grew up with, and wondering: Doesn’t something about this scenario seem a little…familiar?

At once gleefully embracing and brilliantly subverting science-fiction conventions as only Ernest Cline could, Armada is a rollicking, surprising thriller, a classic coming of age adventure, and an alien invasion tale like nothing you’ve ever read before—one whose every page is infused with the pop-culture savvy that has helped make Ready Player One a phenomenon.

What I thought of the book.Going to break it down for you.

What I thought of the main character:

Had a love hate relationship with Zack Lightman , on one hand the love relationship was easy because he would do something that make me cheer him on and then on the other hand the hate relationship was directly at him because of how immature,juvenile and brattish he would act that I would wish I could just head slap him like Gibbs does DiNozzo on the CBS Tv show NCIS.

What I thought of the dust jacket  and book cover of Aramda:

So here comes the fan girl out,I love the front cover,love the colors on it and old type ships that you would play in the old video games , the backs it's ok,but OMG the inside of the dust jacket can I absolutely say I absolutely love it ,love how is a complete drawing of the ADI-88 Interceptor and even has it number so you can use the number list that's on it beside the drawing to find the names of what's what.As for the book cover itself I love it too,love the color as well as the silver ship that on it.

What did I think of the story itself:

At first I was kind of hesitate to even pick it because there was some much hype about it on Booktube as well as Goodreads that I wasn't  sure if I even wanted to read it and another thing was it was kind of out of my comfort zone, I hardly ever pick up a book like this one, but I decided to go head and see what all the hype was about , so glad I did, at first I thought when I started it that I wasn't going to enjoy it or even like it since this was the first book of Mr. Cline's I've ever read and second it was kind of slow for me going in it, but the more I read and got in it the more I started to like it, I even begin to love how it kept bring up classic games,books,movies and music from the different eras. And I also kept come back to this one thought that wouldn't go away, that it was turning out to be a mixture TRON,The Last Starfighter along with Ender's Game ,which I love. That made the book just pull me in more as well as hooked me so much that I had to know what happened next, also loved how Mr.Cline throw in a  secret that had to to with the main character,that was something I didn't see coming at all. And the ending was great to ,because  like I said there was times when Zack seemed immature,juvenile as well as brattish

but with every thing he been though it was like he finally grew up and start to act more mature than before.This book definitely deserves the five star rating I gave it.With that said I would like to say thinks to Mr.Ernest Cline as well as to Blooging For Books program and Penguin Random House for providing me with a complimentary copy of Armada inexchange for my honest review because without them I might not have picked this great book up,so thinks again

review 2015-10-21 21:06
Review: Haven Lake by Holly Robinson

NOTE:  A copy of this book was provided by the author and publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have read several of Holly Robinson's books over the last few years.  I started withThe Wishing Hill  (Review Link)  the story of three women whose lives are linked in an unusual yet unbreakable way.  That was followed by Beach Plum Island (review link ) a story of three sisters whose lives are linked and who are just beginning to understand the meaning of the word  "family".  Recently I had the privilege of reading a third book by Holly, Haven Lake, published April 2015 by NAL, $15.00 US.   I am pleased to say that I think this is Holly's best work yet.

Like all of Holly's books that I have read, Haven Lake is a story about people, the connections that they make, and what actually constitutes a family.  In this case, we are introduced to Sydney Bishop, a women who left home at the age of sixteen after a pair of tragic deaths tore her family apart, and her mother, Hannah Bishop, a sheep farmer who still lives at the family farm where Sydney grew up.  Sydney is currently a child psychologist working with troubled students and engaged to marry Gary, a top notch surgeon with a teenage son.   The story unfolds as Sydney tries to forge a bond with Dylan, Gary's son, and steer clear of her mother and their strained relationship.

As I stated in my other reviews of her books,  Holly Robinson's strengths are the characters that she develops in her stories, and the actual flow of the stories themselves.  In that respect, this book is no different.  The main characters, Sydney, Hannah, and Dylan are all amazingly complex characters with a lot of depth and many facets in their personalities.  In fact, even the minor characters, Sydney's fiancee Gary, her grandmother, Hannah's friend and neighbor, Liz, and Dylan's crush are all complex and interesting in their own right.  In fact, there is not a single character in this book that did not do something surprising at one point or another.  The fact that the characters in the story were unpredictable at times only made them seem more real and allowed me to connect with them all the more.  As for the story itself, Haven Lake is once again filled with plenty of emotion...love, loss, betrayal, and enough twists and turns to make the story a page turner.

There were, however, two big differences that set this book apart and made it, for me, the best effort from Holly Robinson yet.  First were the male characters in this book.  I felt that the male characters in this book were more developed and played a bigger role in the flow of the story.  I was especially happy with the character of Dylan, as he is the first male character that has been used as the stories focus among the Holly Robinson books that I have read, and he was an excellent one at that.  The second reason that this book resonated with me more than some of the others has to do with the last quarter of the book, and the ultimate ending.  There were so many things revealed about the characters in this section of the book that made for a fascinating read.  In addition, the ending of this book was so realistic.  One thing that I really appreciate, is authors who do not succumb to the urge to always give books an ending where everything works out perfectly.  Don't get me wrong, I love happy endings, but I also appreciate realistic endings where you see that the characters still have decisions to make and journeys to go through.   In this respect, I found the ending to this story very satisfying.

The next Holly Robinson book on my list to read is Chance Harbor, which I highly anticipating.  Over the course of time as I have been reading Holly's books, I have become a true fan of her stories and look forward to much more from her in the future.
Source: www.abookaddictsmusings.com
review 2015-09-25 19:59
Korea
Hello, I Love You: A Novel - Katie M. Stout

I don’t know what I originally read this book for.

Maybe it was all those years ago when I was really interested in that side of the world. Asian culture, but mostly Asian food.

Maybe it was that time I read North of Beautiful but Justina Chen, and thought I may be getting the same wonderful experience with this one.

Maybe it was the music aspect of it even though I know nothing about KPOP.

And I did get ALL of that.

I was immersed in the Korean culture, even when Grace was cutting it down brick by annoying brick.

I got the cute relationship with a serious twist, except when Grace was being a whiny brat.

I felt the music and related to almost all of it, even when Grace thought she knew better than anyone because her daddy is music-producer-douchebag-extraordinaire.

But most of all, the reason why I didn’t give up on this book half way through, is the major character development. Grace actually does grow and sees how she was acting and that is was completely ludicrous of her. And this book desperately needed that to happen!

This was a quick read. I got swept up in the story and wanted to figure out what was up with Grace and Jason!

Hello, I Love You (props for all the Doors references) on the surface, is a story about a spoiled, rich girl who moves across the country because she wasn’t agreeing with her parents. But, on the inside, once you get past the rough start, it’s a story of family and loss and new beginnings.

review at yabookscentral.com

review 2015-09-25 19:50
One of my favorites of 2015.
Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls - Lynn Weingarten

This is one of those mindfuck books.

The kind of book that you honestly have no idea what is going to occur. The one that makes you nervous for what is to come. Anxious and on the edge of your seat waiting for what you suspect may be the inevitable.

And then, with one sentence or a few words, everything you thought you suspected is flipped on its head and you’re back at square one. Confused as hell but completely caught up in the madness.

That’s what the experience of Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls is like.

And I loved it.

June and Delia’s world is not one I want to be a part of. It’s extremely unhinged and unbelievable. Obviously, shit doesn’t happen like this to teenagers…right? Were my teenage years incredibly boring compared to theirs? Yes. Would I change that? Fuck no. I’d take my weekends inside playing video games over suicide notes and murder investigations.

But is sure is interesting to read about.

I was confused most of the time (in a good way), but was ultimately stumped with the cheating thing. I feel like that could have been excluded from the book entirely. Just your typical overly dramatic teenage drama thrown in there for a reason that wasn’t made clear to me.

But that’s the only complaint I had. Everything else was great.

I read this book in a few hours. While on vacation. Sitting on the beach (resulting in a sunburn) caught up in the lives of these characters with major issues.

Fast paced and constantly surprising, Suicide Notes from Beautiful Girls is the book you won’t be forgetting for a long time. Equal parts thriller, mystery, and mind distortion.

I need it made into a movie.

I need a book of Sebastian’s past.