logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: read-for-review
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
text 2017-09-07 21:10
Dodie Clark & Her New Book! (Youtuber books...)

Confession: I'm a bit of a Dodie fangirl. I enjoy her YouTube videos and her music. I'm kind of shocked I was approved to read this book, as I am a little "nobody" in the blogger/reviewer world, but it has happened, I'm reading it and liking it so far.

I kind of really like her. She's quirky and has a good singing voice. Her videos usually have meaning other than getting views for money, at least I think so. I don't watch every one of her videos. In fact, I do not watch every video of any person I follow on YouTube. I just feel like she is genuine. She talks about her mental health openly, isn't afraid to be herself, in fact a lot of her videos is sans makeup, even with acne/acne scars and I find that so refreshing. I think we should not be so focused on how we look. So we get pimples? So we gain weight? We're all human and these things happen! Dodie can be a role model to other people with similar experiences, though watch her with caution, as there have been viewers that mentioned watching people talk about anxiety, depression...etc can be triggering for them, because sometimes she is known to get in a dark place with her Instagram and Snap Chat stories.

In this video, Dodie wonders if there is a such thing as oversharing when it comes to depression...etc

Am I oversharing?

In this video she follows up and apologizes.

I'm not big on YouTuber books, but got really excited for Dodie's book. Maybe she will change my mind about these sort of books and I will give more a chance. Though I am not sure I follow too many people who have published.

There is Connie Glynn "Noodlerella's" fiction novel, which I am curious about. Undercover Princess by Connie Glynn. The name and plot sound quite cliche and I can swear I have read something exactly like it before, like on Wattpad, so that is bugging me! But I do want to give it a try, as I enjoy Connie's YouTube channels as well.

---

The only YouTube book I have tried to read is:

Gabbie is from "The Gabbie Show" and I've only watched a couple of her videos.

And this book wasn't for me, sadly.

---

Disclaimer: I received "Secrets For The Mad" by Dodie Clark from Netgally in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the chance to read this! Review will come closer to publication date, which is in November.

review 2017-09-07 19:32
Adultolescence by Gabbie Hanna

My review today is on a book of poetry written by Gabbie Hanna. She is most known for her YouTube channel The Gabbie Show.

However, I am disappointed to say that her book was not my cup of tea.

I got this through Netgally in exchange for a review. I had to stop after about half the poems. I will admit, I do not know much about poetry. I feel bad putting a low rating on something that is the author's feelings, but personally I felt it was badly written and just odd. It seemed childish, which I guess fits the theme of the book and title.

The poems are personal to Gabbie and I feel like they will resonate with some people; just not me.

I don't know much about her, but she genuinely seems like a nice person. She is trying to be funny in the book, even with her more depressing poems and it didn't work for me. However, I do think she can be funny. I've seen some of her videos randomly while going on a YouTube binge, as a person is want to do when it is late at night and they can't sleep.

review 2017-09-05 09:15
Tyrannosaurus Ralph by Nate Evans & Vince Evans (Artwork)

This comic book is so silly, but I can't deny how fun it is. It is quick paced and action packed. It's just all around weird and not realistic at all, but that hardly matters. I think kids and adults of all ages could like it. I wonder where the series will go from here. I love the characters we have met so far.

I enjoyed the artwork.

Disclaimer: I received this from Netgally in exchange for an honest review. Thank you for the chance to read this!

review 2017-09-05 09:12
The Password Is Wishpers by Jack Chaucer & Jeanine Henning (Artwork)

This is an easy and quick paced book. I feel like it can be enjoyed by all ages, but is most important for grade school students who might not understand the horrors of a shut down. It would be confusing and scary for an adult, let alone a child! I never had to experience anything like this as a kid; it is sad that it is now common for schools to have these drills.

Using your imagination and cherishing your childhood seems to be some of the main themes of this book. I adored how they used their imagination to do all sorts of cool things, while there was a lock down drill.

One of my wishes for this book and the reason this did not have a 5 star rating, is I wish that there was more description instead of telling. Part of me can understand why this does not happen, because perhaps the author wants the child/person reading to use their own imagination. That is a nice thought, but I still like when books have showing over telling.

I know this is meant for children, and it is supposed to be quick and simple, but as an adult, I really wish I knew what caused the lock down, but I suppose I can use my imagination there as well.

The artwork by Jeanine Henning was cute. I wish there were more artwork in this book! I love the colors they went with.

show activity (+)
review 2017-09-05 09:08
Honey Moon Dog Daze by Sofi Benitez

A fun, cute book. It is fast paced and has a unique writing style. I found the names of the Moon characters to be a little silly, but in a good way. I have to wonder if the author knew about the Harvest Moon game franchise when they named a character that. Also the three dogs named Manny, Moe and Jack made me laugh out loud. Did the author see a Pep Boys commercial and get inspired or was the names a 100% coincidence? Funny, none the less.

I like how Honey is inspired to start a dog walking service after recusing Stormy. Honey seems to be a likeable character and I did enjoy how she got along with her family. I liked the hints that her Turtle backpack might be magical, or is it her imagination? I love the friendship between the three main girls and also how it ended with a possible 4th friend.

One thing that I wish would be different is more description. There seemed to be a lot of telling instead of showing, which could make some of the story a little lackluster. However, I will admit there were several times where I find myself smiling. There is something going for it, and I hope the author continues to write stories for children and adults alike.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book.