logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: arc-review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-27 04:08
[Book Review] Wired
Wired - Julie Garwood

FBI Agent Liam Scott knows there's a security leak, and he's sure it's from inside the agency.  Enter the gorgeous and too smart to be believed Allison Trent, a brilliant programmer who takes refuge from her manipulative family in code.  Scott learns enough about Trent to know that she is in a class of her own when it comes to coding and hacking skills, and believes that they need someone from the outside to find the leak.  Trent is a little less enthusiastic, she knows she can do it, but regardless of intent she's done quite a bit of illegal hacking that could get her into serious trouble.  Even if that hacking has resulted in the return of millions of dollars and the apprehension of scammers by the FBI and other agencies.  But there's more to the crimes she faces down than just lines of code, and things start hitting close to home, while Scott and Trent struggle with keeping things if not professional, at least casual between them.

I can definitely see where Garwood has a dedicated audience, but I felt the story lacked in suspense, romance, and comprehension of technology.  The idea of a perfect firewall (or firewall equivalent) that you never have to update is a great one... but here's the thing, computer systems and  programs aren't static.  So her program kind of has some glaring flaws.  The hacking was all a little Swordfish-esq to me as well, but that could just be me nitpicking.  As for the suspense, it was pretty obvious what the threat(s) were, even with some minor red herrings.  The romance goes from "no strings" and lots of dramatic anguish (and hurt feelings)... to an immediate "I love you, lets get married" without any addressing or resolution of the significant hurt and issues between them.  The sex happened to hit a few of the cliches I find annoying, such as going from never having ever experienced an orgasm to a earth-shattering one like magic.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of Penguin RandomHouse in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-wired.html
text 2017-06-16 18:14
cliche check: first orgasm
Wired - Julie Garwood

At least she's not a virgin, but OF COURSE she easily has her first orgasm ever and it's world-shatteringly amazing with almost no effort on either of their parts.  ~eye roll~

review 2017-06-15 17:27
[Book Review] Believe me
Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens - Eddie Izzard

Eddie Izzard's comedy is like a cultural language in itself.  You can identify people by their jokes and quips.

"Cake or death?"

"I was on the moon, with Steve!"

"Obviously, Hitler never played Risk as a child."

Et al.  There's a joy in discovering another fan and playing with the shared joy of Izzard's humor, and I've adored him since I discovered him and his embodiment of genderfuck while in my early teens.

Believe Me is like a conversation with Izzard.  The voice is so unmistakable that reading the book one cannot but help hear Izzard narrating in one's head.  The memoir is poignant and touching, with a deft seasoning of Izzard's humor, and a careful handling of painful and difficult subjects.

I also highly recommend the audiobook, read by Izzard, and enriched with "live footnotes" as Izzard makes on-the-fly additions to the text and existing footnotes.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-believe-me.html
text 2017-06-08 21:12
swapped to audio book
Believe Me: A Memoir of Love, Death, and Jazz Chickens - Eddie Izzard

My review copy expired... and then I got an ALC (it's like a ARC, but for audio books!), so I swapped over.

And... it's kind of amazing.  There's digressions and extras that don't seem to be in the book.  The book is enjoyable and unmistakably Izzard, but the audio book is like a conversational version of one of his shows.

text 2017-06-07 22:54
LibraryReads List - June 2017
Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire

So, I couldn't mention this before, but the list is out so I'm in the clear!

My (edited down) review for Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire was featured in the June 2017 LibraryReads list!

Image: book cover with rocky field with a withered tree atop a hill, and an opening trunk in a small valley, light spilling out of the trunk. Text: Down Among The Sticks And Bones by Seanan McGuire Published: 6/13/2017 by Tor.com ISBN: 9780765392039 “In Every Heart a Doorway we met Jack and Jill, two sisters bound together yet alienated. In this installment, we learn how these two girls escape their parents when they exit the world we know for a realm of fairy-tale horror via a magic stairway, appearing in a trunk in a locked room. This is a story about two young women and the trauma that shapes them; a story about love, hate, and the thin line between. A captivating and emotional novella that irresistibly sweeps the reader along.” Tegan Mannino, Monson Free Library, Monson, MA

My full review can be read here.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/06/libraryreads-list-june-2017.html