logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-20 15:32
Review: The Darkest Star by Jennifer L. Armentrout
The Darkest Star - Jennifer L. Armentrout

When seventeen-year-old Evie Dasher is caught up in a raid at a notorious club known as one of the few places where humans and the surviving Luxen can mingle freely, she meets Luc, an unnaturally beautiful guy she initially assumes is a Luxen...but he is in fact something much more powerful. Her growing attraction for Luc will lead her deeper and deeper into a world she'd only heard about, a world where everything she thought she knew will be turned on its head...

#1 New York Times, USA Today, and internationally bestselling author Jennifer L. Armentrout returns to the universe of the Lux in this brand new series, featuring beloved characters both new and old.

*I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

I love Jennifer L. Armentrout’s work and I loved the Lux series. So this book was a must read for me. I was super excited excited to dive back into the lux world. You don’t have to have read the Lux books in order to read this one but I would recommend it, not only are they great but it will help you with past events and or people. But again, it is not necessary in order to read this book.

That being said, sadly I didn’t love as much as I thought I would, it was not horrible by any means, but it also was not the best she has written. The good,  it had plenty of action and humor, we get from her books. Loved the banter we got between Luc and Evie, most of the time, there were a few times it just seemed forced or over the top. It also had its suspense and defiantly kept you asking for more and wanting to find out, who ,what and why….And of course there is the romance, which also had its up and downs. We see some lovely and familiar faces again and it was great. But also meet some pretty great new people.

Luc, it has been a few years since we saw him last but he is still the funny dude we met way back when. Just all grown up. Or well almost ……. And for the most part I liked him, funny, cocky and willing protect those around him. Now that includes Evie.  Sometime now with Evie he had his moments, that more than anything made me roll my eye, not so much him as them together. Evie, it is clear from the beginning that there is more to her and it takes a bit before we get there but I must say I was just like “ oh okay…..” not shocked or anything it was just hmm okay. Maybe that was because, I was not her biggest fan and she annoyed me a lot of times. She often just came over as whiny more than anything. The romance sometimes seemed to be taking over the story but it all came back around.

For me, the whole narrative came over as very young or naiveish ?! IF that is a word lol. I know it is YA, but so was the Lux series but that by any means did not seem that young/ and or teen angst written as this book.

So overall, we get a teen angst insta love/lust teen drama but that is also wonderfully connected to the world we read and loved. In a weird way I couldn’t quit. I was often annoyed with it but also couldn’t put it down.

So the verdict.  I give it 3★, I didn’t love it and I didn’t hate, it was just in the middle somewhere. That being said though I most likely will get book two to see how it continues.

Related image

Will be available  October 30th,2018, pre-order now

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/20/review-the-darkest-star-origin-1-by-jennifer-l-armentrout
review 2018-09-19 21:29
Review: The Mime Order (The Bone Season #2) by Samantha Shannon
The Mime Order - Samantha Shannon

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal prison camp of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the survivors are missing and she is the most wanted person in London . . . As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city's gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take center stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner. Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided.

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

4 ½★

I really don’t know why it took me so long to finish this awesome book. I really don’t. Though I should say that I shouldn’t have waited so long between book one and two since the world building is rather complex it would have just made it a bit easier.

This book a bit different than the last, we get a lot more of the underground and the different gangs and how they work and what all makes the gears turn. Also the character’s growth and development was fantastic. There is so much depth and so many layers to them, their relationships. Which with the awesome world building made you feel like you right there with them.

Paige grew so much in this book I thought and she did not shy away from stuff when things or people seemed to work against her, she just regrouped and found another way. While complicated, very much so actually, I enjoyed her and Jaxon working more or less together. Also enjoyed him a lot, even with all his errors and flaws, but he also had a lot of good qualities to him.

Warden. Yes we see him again and I really liked him but I must say while I enjoy him and I enjoy Paige, and them working together I’m not crazy about them as a couple. Not sure why but just something that puts me off to that idea.

Hmm, I’m not sure what else to say and not spoil it for other people. So I will just make it short.

I loved this book, it had a great pacing and always wanted to make to turn tro the next page, it also always kept me on the edge of my seat and I was speechless a few times. There are quite the few twists and turns and the end was just… I don’t even know … I sort if saw it coming but then not at all.

So be prepared for a cliffhanger that will make you want to scream. Overall, this is a pretty complex world to get used to at first but once you are in you will love it and it is sooo worth it . Also there are glossary at the end of both book one and two to help you along.

If you like fantasy I would most defiantly give this a try.

I rate this book 4 ½ ★

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/09/19/review-the-mime-order-the-bone-season-2-by-samantha-shannon
review 2018-08-06 17:40
Review: Until We're More (Fighting For Her #2) by Cindi Madsen
Until We're More - Cindi Madsen

Chelsea is smart, funny, gorgeous, and the best friend I’ve ever had. Ever since she left, I’ve been a wreck. I’ve been focused on keeping my family’s MMA gym afloat while I train and coach fighters, anything to not miss her more. But now she's finally back, along with her grumpy, possessive cat, and things are weird between us.

By weird, I mean I can’t stop thinking about her in that way. She’s in the room next door, and it takes all my control not to storm in there, sweep her up, and bring her back to my bed. Even stranger, I’m pretty sure she’d be into it.

And this time, I’m not going to stop fighting until we’re more.

This book easily made it on my favorite books by Cindi Madsen.

It was fresh, funny, sweet, romantic and steamy all in one, but also heartwarming.

Once I started it I knew I would love it and couldn’t put it down until I’m done and that is exactly what happened.

I just fell in love with Liam and Chelsea, the story, their background and the nice tortures slow burn we know and love from Cindi Madsen . We get plenty of humor and banter between the two.  But also some nice heartwarming moments not only between the two but also their friends and family and some we have met in book one.

I loved both Liam and Chelsea separately but together they were almost too much cuteness and sexiness .Some scenes where just too funny but also super cute and hot. Both also were super easy to relate to and not just because she is a bookworm …lol

Overall I really loved this book and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series. If you are a fan of rom-coms, contemporary romance and/or  Cindi Madsen, than his book is a must.

I rate it 5 ★because it was just that awesome and cute for me.

Related image

Will available  August 27th 2018

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/08/06/review-until-were-more-fighting-for-her-2-by-cindi-madsen
review 2018-07-20 16:08
[Book Review] The Girl in the Green Silk Gown
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown - Seanan McGuire

Previously Reviewed

If you're reading The Girl in the Green Silk Dress you should already know all the major players.  Rose Marshall, Bobby Cross, Apple, Emma, Gary, Laura, the Ocean Lady, and even Persephone.  They all had their parts to play in Sparrow Hill Road

This is in many ways the first true novel about Rose, Sparrow Hill Road being a collection of short stories.  As a protagonist Rose is a mix, she is a force to be reckoned with, but at the same time spends much of the story being pushed or pulled through obstacles (or by obstacles), while avoiding her primary goal of the story... defeating Bobby Cross.  In her defense, no one knows how to achieve that, and he's put her in a situation she doesn't have the tools to defeat him with until it's fixed.

Rose also has growing pains, at the end of the last novel she was reunited with her teenage love, and they are both learning about each other and what being together as ghosts means... and what their type of existence requires.  Her other relationships grow, change, and develop too, adding depth and filled with twists both expected and surprising.

I'm seeing this book listed in places as 2 of 2 in its series, and I'm hoping that's an error.  There is a lot unanswered, unfinished, in this story, and I want to see where this road takes us.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of DAW (Penguin RandomHouse) in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/07/book-review-girl-in-green-silk-gown.html
review 2018-07-18 17:19
Review: The Rending and the Nest by Kaethe Schwehn
The Rending and the Nest - Kaethe Schwehn

When ninety-five percent of the world’s population disappears for no apparent reason, Mira does what she can to create some semblance of a life: She cobbles together a haphazard community named Zion, scavenges the Piles for supplies they might need, and avoids loving anyone she can’t afford to lose. Four years after the Rending, Mira has everything under control. Almost.

Then Mira’s best friend, Lana, announces her pregnancy, the first in this strange world and a new source of hope for Mira. But Lana gives birth to an inanimate object—and soon other women of Zion do, too—and the thin veil of normalcy Mira has thrown over her new world begins to fray. As the community wrestles with the presence of these Babies, a confident outsider named Michael appears, proselytizing about the world outside Zion. He lures Lana away and when she doesn’t return, Mira has to decide how much she’s willing to let go in order to save her friend, her community, and her own fraught pregnancy.

1 ½ ★

Sadly this book was a DNF, I don’t like to DNF books and I rarely do it but I just couldn’t connect with this book.

I like to say that the writing is what put me off, and that I’m sure many people will enjoy this book and its writing style. It just was not for me.

For one it seemed a bit too much philosophy for me. Yes, I like when I book makes you think and maybe see a bigger pictures but as far as I read this book was too much of it, almost was like fill in the blanks feeling for me. It started out with the world building or the lack of it, in this case. We are just thrown into the story with very little info about the world or prior events. We don’t know why 95% of humanity disappeared or what lead up to it. It’s just a fact no explanation or anything and we just supposed to take it. While sometimes that can make a book, it defiantly didn’t in this case, at least not for me. It just made me feel lost and disconnected to the book. That also goes for the characters. I had a hard time to connect to any of them and it just felt sort flat to me.

Another issue I had was that it seemed incredible slow to me , I only made it to page 116 but it felt like I read 300 some pages. But to be honest it could have been just the fact that I was not a huge fan of the book.

While this book was not for me, I still think plenty if people would enjoy it and appreciate the writing style much more than I did.

I rate it 1 ½ ★ for the 116 pages that I have read if the book.

Image result for nah gif

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/index.php/2018/07/18/review-the-rending-and-the-nest-by-kaethe-schwehn