logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-22 03:45
[Book Review] Curse Words, Volume 1
Curse Words Vol 1: The Devil's Devil - Charles Soule,Ryan Browne

A dark wizard has come to our realm to destroy our world for his master... and decides to become a hero (or something) instead.  Clearly nothing can go wrong with this plan.  Clearly.

Yeah... things go wrong.  In a splashy, chaotic, rock music video sort of way.  All in the company of talking rat/koala/being that's a bit more charismatic and moral than Wizord.  Probably for the best.

Entertaining and unhinged.

Advanced Reader Copy copy courtesy of Image Comics; differences may exist between uncorrected galley text and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/07/book-review-curse-words-volume-1.html
review 2017-07-20 21:51
[Book Review] Meddling Kids
Meddling Kids: A Novel - Edgar Cantero

Scooby-Doo meets H.P. Lovecraft.  With an absolutely fantastic cover.

If you want to read someone singing praises of this story it's not hard to find (NPR: In 'Meddling Kids,' The Scooby Gang Grows Up — Hard, USA Today: 'Scooby-Doo' fans will dig Cantero's 'Meddling Kids').

My reactions are a bit muddled, and probably more in line with the Kirkus review.

Is the book fun?  Undoubtedly.  Familiar enough to evoke Scooby-Doo, but different enough to skirt violation of intellectual property.  Even better, Cantero has injected some actual diversity and complexity to the characters.  In true Scooby-Doo fashion, even as they encounter horrors from the gates beyond, the story holds fast as an adventure rather than a horror or thriller.

My copy was a pre-publication galley, so I'm not sure how much has changed in the final publication, but as I still lack access to the final piece, I have to go forward with the above caveat.  Cantero has chosen to drop in and out of narrative voice and style, with parts of the book written as a script instead of as a novel.  Other parts the narrative includes run on sentences masquerading as paragraphs that make my eyes cross.  I truly hope those parts received excessive editorial attention.

The whole story has a fun, tongue-in-cheek aspect in regards to action movies, particularly those it appears to be a script for.  It definitely gives some fun moments.

My biggest response to this  novel is "how can I turn this into a Call of C'thulhu scenario?"  This would be loads of fun to play as a game, and only require minimal juggling to make it work (the biggest issue is probably how to balance attention to players with Peter's ghost, and possibly to consider Nate "mythos hardened" against certain things).

So, overall, the book was fun, but when I sit back it lacks something.  Elements of fun, but I felt I was promised something with more substance and creeping horror.

I still absolutely adore the cover though.

Advanced Reader Copy courtesy of Doubleday; differences may exist between uncorrected galley text and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/07/book-review-meddling-kids.html
review 2017-06-27 04:08
[Book Review] Wired
Wired - Julie Garwood

FBI Agent Liam Scott knows there's a security leak, and he's sure it's from inside the agency.  Enter the gorgeous and too smart to be believed Allison Trent, a brilliant programmer who takes refuge from her manipulative family in code.  Scott learns enough about Trent to know that she is in a class of her own when it comes to coding and hacking skills, and believes that they need someone from the outside to find the leak.  Trent is a little less enthusiastic, she knows she can do it, but regardless of intent she's done quite a bit of illegal hacking that could get her into serious trouble.  Even if that hacking has resulted in the return of millions of dollars and the apprehension of scammers by the FBI and other agencies.  But there's more to the crimes she faces down than just lines of code, and things start hitting close to home, while Scott and Trent struggle with keeping things if not professional, at least casual between them.

I can definitely see where Garwood has a dedicated audience, but I felt the story lacked in suspense, romance, and comprehension of technology.  The idea of a perfect firewall (or firewall equivalent) that you never have to update is a great one... but here's the thing, computer systems and  programs aren't static.  So her program kind of has some glaring flaws.  The hacking was all a little Swordfish-esq to me as well, but that could just be me nitpicking.  As for the suspense, it was pretty obvious what the threat(s) were, even with some minor red herrings.  The romance goes from "no strings" and lots of dramatic anguish (and hurt feelings)... to an immediate "I love you, lets get married" without any addressing or resolution of the significant hurt and issues between them.  The sex happened to hit a few of the cliches I find annoying, such as going from never having ever experienced an orgasm to a earth-shattering one like magic.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of Penguin RandomHouse in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-wired.html
review 2017-06-26 01:03
NO ORDINARY STAR BY: M.C. FRANK
No Ordinary Star - Frank M. Turner

<!-- x-tinymce/html -->

"He doesn't look like a Drone at all. He looks...he looks like a Felix. He looks like something only he could be in the entire One World, in the universe. All people used to look like that, once, her father had told her. They used to be like that."

No Ordinary Star was a very interesting read! Set in the year 2524, where things are much different than they are now. Boys and Girls grown in labs rather than being born to parents, and being raised separately from one another, each into their predetermined gender roles in life. In a world where there is no hunger or illness anymore, but there's also no wonder, no family, no love.

is this real life

"It doesn't enter his mind right then that he's been robbed of all of this, of beauty, of life, of the very world for seventeen years."

Felix, an impressive soldier in the Chairman's Army, Astra, a rebel on the run, and Ursa, maybe the last polar bear in existence, band together as reluctant comrades to figure out what is really happening in the world around them, and what has brought them all to this deserted Clockmaster's home full of secrets, treasures, and hopefully answers.

"She knows what they are; at least she thinks she does. They're the most dangerous weapons, and none are supposed to have survived the Revision. But the Rebels had a couple of them, caked in the mud of decades and half burned -they'd been salvaged from the Revision burnings- still she's fairly certain that's what they were.

Books.

"Oh," she gasps.

In here there are thousands of them. A room full of weaponry -illegal weaponry."

book magic

I really enjoyed the dystopian world that Frank has created! I am curious to find out even more about it. I feel like we've only just had a glimpse of it here. I like the coming together of these radically different people like Astra and Felix. Astra has been raised by rebels and has a lot more insight into how messed up this world is and exactly what drones like Felix have been missing out on. On the flip side, Felix has been a good little soldier and quickly climbed the ranks of the chairman's army and his knowledge of the inner workings of the whole system is vast. I can't help but think that this will come in very handy later on in the series. Survival in the harsh elements of the Clockmaster's home has kind of forced them to rely on one another just to make it. But there was definitely a sense by the end that they were forming, at least a shaky sort of alliance.

snow.gif

"Why does it feel like it's the greatest felony of all, the biggest crime in the Planet, that this smart, animated little person who's managed to keep herself as well as him alive for days, isn't able to put letters together to read a simple phrase?"

This was a quick read that set an intriguing foundation for this kind of frightening futuristic dystopian world. I am looking forward to seeing how things proceed from here! Also has to be said that this cover is so GORGEOUS!! I might just have to pick up the physical copy to add to my shelves!

**This book (and its sequel) is currently only $0.99 on Amazon for the Kindle copy right now!

If you're interested, you can get your copy here: https://goo.gl/A4hzKY

text 2017-06-16 18:14
cliche check: first orgasm
Wired - Julie Garwood

At least she's not a virgin, but OF COURSE she easily has her first orgasm ever and it's world-shatteringly amazing with almost no effort on either of their parts.  ~eye roll~