logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-copy
Load new posts () and activity
text 2018-05-16 18:30
*grabby hands*
Brief Cases (Dresden Files) - Jim Butcher

So... starts off with a Weird West story featuring a young Luccio... and an introduction that Butcher now has an idea for a series focusing on her.

WANT!

review 2018-04-04 13:07
Review: Forget You (The Kingman Brothers #1) by Nina Crespo
Forget You (The Kingman Brothers #1) - Nina Crespo

Sophie Jordan dreams about hooking up with Nicolas “King” Kingman—the gorgeous CEO of her company—but as her boss, he’ll always remain out of reach. King knows he isn’t built for happily-ever-afters and only indulges in brief romantic encounters. But when Sophie agrees to fill in as his last-minute date to a charity gala, an unexpected discovery quickly escalates their platonic relationship to one of passion.

King is determined to ignore their attraction and, feeling betrayed, Sophie severs ties with him and the company. Everything changes, however, when he’s injured in an accident, and Sophie agrees to help until he closes a major deal. Unfortunately, he’s developed amnesia, and although he doesn’t remember their night together, desire binds them in ways they can’t resist.

Time is running out on closing the deal, as well as Sophie moving on to her new career. Will King deny love in favor of winning and lose Sophie forever?

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

1 ½ ★

Sadly there was not much about this book that I enjoyed except that it was fairly short and I can get through it fast. I was going to DNF it but since I agreed to review it and wanted the review to be fair I figured I better read the whole book .

Reading the blurb I really thought it would maybe be a but funny and interesting. But really it was not all the funny and more some bad romance clichés over and over again throughout the book,

I didn’t enjoy the characters. King really was more of an A$$hole than anything and really just seemed comfortable in that role.  Sophie was often very whiny and annoying and half the time her charm bracelets were more interesting than her.

It had some funny moments but not that many or something that stood out, I think I rolled my eyes more than anything throughout the book,

Sadly this book was not for me but I'm sure there are plenty of people who can appreciate King and Sophie more than I did

I rate it 1 ½ ★

Image result for heavy eye roll

review 2018-04-03 01:16
Review: Unraveled (Perfected #3) by Kate Jarvik Birch
Unraveled (Perfected) - Kate Jarvik Birch

Ella isn’t anyone’s pet anymore, but she’s certainly not free.

After exposing the dark secrets about NuPet’s breeding program, forcing them to repeal the law that allowed genetically modified girls to be kept as pets, she thought girls like her would finally be free. She never dreamed that it would backfire. NuPet may have convinced the public of their intentions to assimilate pets back into society, but Ella knows it’s a lie.

They aren’t planning mass rehabilitation...they’re planning a mass extermination.

Now, with the help of a small group of rebels, Ella and Penn, the boy she’d give up her life for, set out to bring down NuPet for good. But when her group gets implicated in a string of bombings, no one is safe. If she can’t untangle the web of blackmail and lies that extends far beyond NuPet’s reach, she won’t just lose her chance at freedom, she’ll lose everyone she loves.

I remember picking book one up when it came out, not really knowing what to expect and really enjoyed it and thought it was pretty unique and clever for a  dystopian.

Now we are at the third and final book of the series and I’m absolutely thrilled to have been following Ella and her small group of trusted people.

This book was a the perfect conclusion to the series, it was just as nail biting and thrilling as the other two books, if not even a bit more. Everything is wrapped up nicely for the most part. There were a few minor things but that was okay and it was nothing important.

Sadly not everyone makes it to the end and I was at first not sure about it but it was kind of a good fit into the story.

I also really enjoyed Ella in this book, she came such a long way since book one and really has grown into her character. I love that she still has little flaws and sometimes is not sure of herself. It makes her so much more relatable.

The ending was great and I thought it did the entire series great justice.

Overall I did not only enjoy this book but the entire series and I can’t wait to see what Kate Jarvik Birch comes up with next

I rate it 4 ½ ★

Image result for perfect gif

review 2018-03-07 23:31
[Book Review] Tricks for Free
Tricks for Free - Seanan McGuire
Tricks for Free (InCryptid #7) / Seanan McGuire

Previously reviewed

Ok folks, I have some really bad news about this book.

There are no Aeslin mice in it.

But they have their own novella at the end (and it's kind of adorable).

In Magic for Nothing I was a little harsh on Antimony... and what I said still holds true, she needed to grow up and she did.  So now we get an Annie who has learned in a way she never knew before what exactly it means to be a Price, perhaps still with resentment and issues with Verity, but that is tempered with understanding as well.  I like this Annie.

Hiding out from the Covenant (and her family), Antimony has donned an old identity and getting by as an employee at the Lowryland amusement park while she attempts to get her life back together.  Life, on the other hand, has its own plans for her.  Lowryland turns out to be run by a cabal of magic users who offer to teach her to control the fire insider her, friends from her past are around, and deadly accidents start occurring.

So it's up to one stranded Price, her friends, her boyfriend, and a crossroads ghost to handle a particularly unexpected threat.

Advance Reader Copy courtesy of DAW (Penguin RandomHouse) in exchange for an honest review; changes may exist between galley and the final edition.
Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2018/03/book-review-tricks-for-free.html
review 2018-03-01 20:14
The Devil's Colony - Bill Schweigart
The Devil's Colony - Bill Schweigart

In a trilogy pertaining to cryptid monsters, I find it fitting that the final book in the series centers around the most horrible monster of all - man. The evil that man has inflicted on each other is astounding to think about. Hatred and bigotry come front and center in Schweigart's The Devil's Colony. Ben and Lindsay are once again called on by billionaire cryptozoologist, Richard Severance. This time, it's to infiltrate the compound of neo-nazi Henry Drexler. Henry is the son of a former Nazi SS officer and scientist who was assigned by Hitler to find proof of the dominance and superiority of the Aryan race throughout history. Now Henry is using his family's fortune and remote camp location in the Pine Barrens Woods of New Jersey to welcome all neo-Nazis and white supremacists who want to join him in continuing his father's dream. But what else has Henry unearthed in his research of his father's past?

The Devil's Colony is different than the previous two entries in the trilogy. The first two, The Beast of Barcroft and Northwoods centers around the cryptid monsters that are unleashed and causing havoc. In The Devil's Colony, the story focuses mainly on the horror's of man and the cryptid monster is a side dish to come in during the last act. According to some reviews I've read, this difference may have tripped up a reader or two. However, it didn't spoil the story for me. I enjoyed Schweigart's tale and thought it hit many of the right notes. Perhaps, the cryptid portion of the story could've been sprinkled a little more throughout so that it didn't seem like two different stories trying to be mashed together. All in all, I enjoyed the trilogy and look forward to more from Bill.

4 Nazi SS Swords out of 5

You can also follow my reviews at the following links: